Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Notes from lessons and feasibility study.

My Business card: cut from the same cloth as my site.

My SITE

How far have I got.

Terms of reference: JC =John Clamp & PJ= Phil Jackson. PS= Photoshop, DW= Dreamweaver. CCBH= City College Brighton and Hove.

The following notes are extracts from lessons between October 2009 and January 2010.

In our first series of lessons we were encouraged to look at planning our website. For planning we were introduced to two concepts Mood boarding and Mind mapping. Both planning concepts were highly valuable and used together: I managed to visualise and realise the potential for my website.

The sites I used were mind genius where I downloaded a thirty day trial and mapped my mind. As a follow on I am using Microsoft Visio to map stuff; I forgot how useful this process can be.

For mood boarding please see earlier updates. I have also created a wheel story board to assist with site mapping.

What is it all for?

I started the web design course with a clear idea of what I wanted. Over the summer I had worked with a web designer from Sussex University and although he is technically brilliant he either lacked creative ability or couldn’t understand what I wanted. What I wanted was a site that offered:

A clear service

  • Defined geographical service area
  • Illustrated ability to produce
  • Substantial text and information
    • I created a web form in access
    • I have proofed text for the website

The website and any promotional material had to have the same text, logo and identical imagery.

At the start of the semester one I drafted a business plan and marketing plan, and between October and February conducted a feasibility study. With the aim of; understanding my local potential clients and their motives for purchasing creative services. During the feasibility study I managed to meet Pr teams and individuals and nick a few ideas from them for my site.

Most of the information learned coincided with what was taught in lessons:

  • Fast download times
  • Clarity
  • Accessibility in terms of interaction and navigation
  • Simple universal description of services being offered

Perhaps the most important thing was that the site should be accessible from Google and anyone typing in north laine packshot would get my page without having to enter hypertext land. I now know that in order to get to the top of the list I should go to http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html. And fill the form in. (Cheers Phil.)

My clients come from all backgrounds, what most of them have in common is language I observed different types of people on a mission to make money pay staff and feed themselves as opposed to have art, run through flowers and read poetry.

My current website is built on the findings that almost all businesses in Brighton either use staff or a friend to create marketing material. The creative marketing and turnaround time for local advertising is slow and often far too over creative to hold a pint of reference.

What I aim to offer is a:

  • Fast turnaround,
  • Industry standard service
  • Retouching
  • Graphic design including pre flight and pre print ( PS)
  • I also want to create a business where I can employ people

Creating a root folder:

In JC’s lesson we were urged to concentrate on creating and organising a root folder, unlike FrontPage or web fusion Dreamweaver has to be set up to work correctly and at the heart of the site should be a folder that has the right sized images information. As we were working ob CCBH’s Computer I had to create a root folder on my portable hard drive.

My website.

Before studying Dreamweaver I would only use the application to copy and publish websites it was all too scary. I now can create a website from a blank template and edit it to a good standard.

The process is like any other applications I just have to know where to access pages, and how to insert new pages.

For my website I have created the page in PS and then made slices of areas that I will later use as buttons or rollovers. After making slices I export scripts to WPG on CS4.

Before buying brilliant Dreamweaver 3 I used this site for info: http://www.entheosweb.com/photoshop/slice.asp

The naming of files is crucial at this pint and I also save all work regularly.

Notes November 2009

Page properties

I have yet to use this feature of Dreamweaver. I am simply commenting on it as an entire lesson was dedicated to it.

Setting page properties is a method of setting the:

  • Font size
  • Text and Background
  • Background image or colour
  • Margins

To access the page properties dialog box I went to: Modify menu and clicked on Page properties in the menu at the left side of the dialog box is a list of items that I can modify such as, headings, links and encoding. Each menu item opens anew dialog box.

FORMATING PARAGRAPH TEXT

In JC’s lesson we were taught how to format paragraph texts and images we made a simple website saved the root folder to our portable hard drives (AS MUCH OF THE EARLIER WORK STORED ON COMPUTERS WAS REMOVED) and created a simple page in Dreamweaver. We were asked to come up with Title and to reformat an image of a Dog in Photoshop and import it to the site. We imported the proper way we selected insert, opened the folder the image was saved to and then selected the image. I have an easier way I go to the application that holds the image and copy the image, I then go to Dreamweaver and past it into the page. Both JC and PJ have stressed that images had to be saved in a specific format. At home I use Photoshop seven, I reduce the images in Corel photoX2, but on CS3 I can save as PNG or WPG. In our new site we formatted the text by clicking the format button, we aligned the text and we worked on line spacing. The result is inserted below……


My Mock up gallery: i aim to have a maximum of five images on each title tab.


Image of bulldog from trial ebsite now lost due to CCB Storage.

image from website work in progress

Rollover


For my site I have created a rollover bar. It’s really simple I go to the insert tab pint to image objects and then click rollover a dialog box appears and I can then set the rollover effects. This feature is common on all web design applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment